Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Dresses-Sewing Project

I decided to take on a big project about 2 months ago. Growing up, my grandma used to make my Easter dresses every year. I got to pick out the patterns most of the time, and pick the material. I really liked it and it meant alot to me. So I wanted to start the tradition with my girls.

It started out innocently enough. Knowing that this was my first attempt at making clothing. I knew I was going to have some problems. But I had no idea what problems I was heading for. I looked through patterns online with Maddie and we picked out the ones we liked. Well I should say the ones Maddie liked. Then Maddie and I went to the Fabric store and bought everything we needed. She picked out the material also.
I decided to do Olivia's dress first. Since the pattern said "Easy to Sew." How wrong the words really were. I call it the Dress from Hell. A bit harsh but the only words to convey my feelings in a few words. That thing took me almost 6 weeks to make and it still looked horrible. I think I about destroyed my sewing machine a million times. I loved the whole dress except the neck, the neck never sat right. My favorite part was the rick rack at the bottom. I finally quite trying to fix the neck and let it be until I got Maddie's made (and then so many hours were spent on the neck after Maddie's-ugh).

Maddie's on the other hand went like clockwork. I only got upset at the sewing machine once. What a difference these two patterns were. I am proud of my work, but I see mistakes. But I loved Maddie's dress, and it only took half the time to make hers. And it fit her perfectly. One big reason I got it done so fast was I was running out of time and had to work double time.

I have to say the hardest part for me was being a perfectionist. I am no perfectionist! My mom told me I would be fine if I just acted like one. And so I did, I unpicked so many stitches and so many times I tried to figure a way around the unpicking but I still unpicked. I called my mom constantly for help and it seemed almost nightly. After I finished the dresses I felt good. All the frustrations left me and it was replaced with pride of my work. They aren't perfect but I loved how they turned out.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

now I wanna see Dave in a matching tie! they turned out great...you are motivated!!

Amateur Steph said...

I am so impressed. They look way cute.
I always swear at my sewing machine.

Matt and Alissa said...

They turned out so cute! Way to go! The girls look so beautiful.

DaNette said...

Those are so cute! You are amazing!

Melanie said...

You need to teach me to sew. I want to learn so bad. There are so many things I want to make.